Global Ecotourism Network
The Global Ecotourism Network (GEN) brings together the world’s regional and national ecotourism associations, networks and destinations, indigenous and rural communities, global operators, professionals and academics. It aims at providing advocacy, encouraging thought leadership and innovation and add greater authenticity to ecotourism.
GEN is a network of networks that links regions and destinations but also organizations and people with specific interests, including on eradication of plastic pollution through work with tourism businesses and communities.
Role in programme(s):
Global Tourism Plastics Initiative
In the framework of the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative, Global Ecotourism Network commits to:
- Inspiring and promoting compliance with the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative and all those who are aligned with ecotourism interests through their global outreach and credibility as the umbrella ecotourism association (along with their six global/regional ecotourism networks).
- Collecting examples of best practices, both within and outside the GEN community and highlight the best ones via their communications networks.
- Supporting organisations that need support and learn from those on their network.
- Presenting on panels and as keynotes at sustainable tourism conferences globally, incorporating a strong message around the need to collaborate on solving the plastic problem with a call to action to join GTPI.
- Communicating successes to affiliated organisations and businesses, partners, travellers and key local stakeholders.
Glasgow Declaration on Climate Action in Tourism
The essence of ecotourism is about connecting to nature and local communities, contributing to conservation and regeneration of nature and supporting local communities whilst reducing our travel footprint. The climate crisis is real and we have little time and all of us need to make changes to avert the worst.