One Planet Sustainable Tourism programme at the One Ocean Summit
The One Planet Sustainable Tourism Programme co-organizes in partnership with the French government a high-level workshop on Sustainable Tourism in the Blue Economy. The workshop is organized within the framework of the One Ocean Summit that will be taking place in Brest, France from 9th to 11th of February 2022.
DATE: 9th of February
TIME: 11:00 to 12:30 (CET)
The tourism sector can be part of the blue economy and thus support the conservation of our oceans. The sector has been forecasted to become one of the largest ocean economies by 2030. Some of the positive benefits are revenue generation, local job creation and prosperity, infrastructure and community facilities, awareness of the need for conservation, investment in the environment and cultural heritage and the contribution to sustainable community livelihoods. However, there are also challenges related to tourism development such as the loss of biodiversity, pollution, resource consumption and changing socio-economic patterns.
The One Planet Sustainable Tourism Programme’s and its Global Tourism Plastics Initiative’s (GTPI) mission is to support integration of concrete and operational solutions towards more circular tourism value chains and protection of ocean biodiversity and prevention of marine litter. Within the context of the COVID-19 crisis, the Programme offers and promotes solutions that anchor the recovery on sustainability to underpin the resilience of the sector to future crises.
The high-level 1,5-hour workshop on the role of the tourism sector in ocean protection will explore concrete solutions and recommendations for policy makers and corporate leaders on tackling the issue of marine litter while supporting sustainable recovery of the sector.
Governmental representatives, United Nations officials and business leaders will intervene and present series of policies, actions and high level commitments (as well as results of their implementation).
Governmental representatives participating in the workshop:
- Mr. Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, Minister Delegate for Tourism, France
- Mr. Sylvestre Radegonde, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Tourism of Seychelles
- Mr. Ricardo Galindo Bueno, Vice minister of Tourism of Colombia
- Prof Judi Wakhungu EGH, Kenya Ambassador to France, Portugal, Serbia, Monaco and Holy See
- Ms. Ilana Seid, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Palau to the United Nations
United Nations and One Planet network Secretariat:
- Ms. Zoritsa Urosevic, the chair of the event, and Executive Director of the World Tourism Organization of the United Nations (UNWTO)
- Mr. Jorge Laguna-Celis, Head of the One Planet network Secretariat, UNEP (moderator)
Tourism sector corporate leaders:
- Ms. Brune Poirson, Director of Sustainable Development, ACCOR
- Dr. Megan Morikawa, Global Sustainability Office Director, Iberostar
- Ms. Charlotte Wwiebe, Group Sustainability Director, TUI Group
- Ms. Agnès Weil, Directrice du Développement durable, ClubMed
- Mr. Raffaele D’Ambrosio, Managing Director France & Vice-President, Costa Cruises
- Mr. Hervé Gastinel, CEO, Ponant
To register and watch the event online: https://oneoceansummit2022.site.calypso-event.net/en/authentication/inscription.htm