EVENT: Eliminate.Innovate.Circulate. Strategies from the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative
DATE: Thursday 08 July
TIME: 14:00 - 15:00 (CEST)
Since its launch in January 2020, the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative has made three public announcements of signatories. The last one took place on 9 March 2021, during the event Eliminate.Innovate.Circulate. Strategies from the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative at ITB Berlin Now. 15 new signatories from across accommodation companies, business associations, suppliers, waste managers, tour operators and NGOs were welcomed, bringing the total signatories up to 61. Learn more about the signatories here.
The Initiative continues to receive numerous applications and the next announcement of signatories is therefore planned for 8 July 2021. Don't miss out, submit your application!
Within the framework of the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative, the United Nations World Tourism Organization and the United Nations Environment Programme, in collaboration with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation are co-organizing this panel discussion with the following objectives:
- Showcasing the different roles that tourism stakeholders can play in the initiative;
- Sharing insights on the strategies that the signatories are following to implement their commitments;
- Presenting the latest research on life-cycle assessments of plastic products;
- Empowering tourism stakeholders to shift towards a circular economy of plastics in tourism;
- Welcoming the latest group of signatories to the initiative.
The Global Tourism Plastics Initiative provides a framework to tackle plastic pollution and support the tourism sector towards building a circular economy of plastics. The Initiative is structured around a common vision and commitments on the elimination of unnecessary and problematic plastics, the integration of reuse models and reusable alternatives, the engagement of suppliers and waste managers and communicating progress to all stakeholders, including travellers.