Every manmade product used in various industries and community use which unfortunately lead to debris polluting the environment can be either recycled or reused upon adopting the right corrective and innovative measures. Being in the construction industry for more than 20 years and serving on various landmark projects in India, Sri Lanka, Sultanate of Oman, and the Kingdom of Bahrain allowed studying the alternative ways to find out the appropriate approach to enhance sustainable living. The innovations which are specifically derived through effective implementation of various ideas, themes, and technical and social experiments are listed below.
· Due to rapid urbanization, industrial and commercial growth there is a huge impact on the quality of air. The health of humans and all the species in this universe is mainly dependent on air. So, it should be mandatory to increase green zones by planting more trees, restricting landfill by construction debris and oceans from all the pollutants which form marine debris. As half of the oxygen is produced by the sea if the right corrective measures are implemented by maintaining clean oceans, and clean earth it will automatically enhance the air quality adding value to human life and increasing the life span of all the species.
· Many of the countries are still facing difficulties to manage marine and construction debris, by using the concept of this project by using appropriate method all these items entrapped in marine and construction debris can be easily segregated where Construction materials, like concrete, metals, construction wood paints can be recycled or re-used to construct public welfare facilities with minimal financial support. Moreover, by educating and implementing the right approach of spreading awareness society may come forward to use these materials from debris for the inhouse or back yard and gardening constructions, etc.
· Because when plastic and other harmful materials are trapped under or in between construction debris it becomes very difficult to handle it or remove it. Is there no much awareness to transform this marine and construction debris many of the coastlines worldwide are in a very disgraceful stage harming the environment and marine life. Once the right means are adopted to tackle construction waste it would more convenient for any cleaning agency or many of the volunteering groups or individuals to pick plastic and other lightweight pollutants from the sea shoreline.
· The water used in the landscaping to grow plants and grass is from the nearby R.O water plant which has a marginally higher salinity than that of water used in general gardening works in Bahrain. This water can be suitable for selective ornamental and coastline plants, ornamental saplings, grass, etc. also this can be used as utility water for washing and cleaning purposes by beachgoers and drinking water by some animals and species dependent on sea and migratory birds.
· Due to limited areas baby plants in many household gardens, nurseries, big plantations, and public gardens are often discarded as trash or burnt, these all can be used to relocate and transform barren or unused part under the control of the government into a greenfield to improve air quality.
· Every year household gardens, public gardens, and big plantations need to dress the plants by cutting their branches to suit the location and these are also discarded as trash, appropriate handling of these by creating a space where plant branches and leaves can be decomposed to form natural manure and later which can be used for plants in public parks and gardens to reduce the impact of chemical fertilizer seepage in earth strata.
· Plastic is one of the finest discoveries by mankind but unfortunately, the right approach is not adopted to recycle and reuse it. Plastic and other contents of petroleum products and construction debris can be the best replacement for wood in the construction industry which furthermore decreases the load on rapid deforestation. Moreover, the right quantity of recycled plastic can be used in the construction of roads with accurate combinations its ban more durable than regular asphalt roads. Some of the countries are using this method but improvement is needed to minimize the pollution and add value to sustainable living.
· A clean environment is a key to human emotions, psychological & physical balance. Right methods of awareness and approach can lead to a complete transformation in human behavior. If the right framework is provided with the legal boundaries and limitations many of the governments across the globe may save a huge amount of money invested in clean-up processes. When the minds of people are aligned in the right direction with discipline acts like inappropriate dumping of trash and debris will be limited resulting in a clean environment.
The total concept and implementation of the project was part of service to mankind. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic millions of people lost their lives and millions lost their jobs. The efforts taken by the government of Bahrain and hospitality received from the people of Bahrain is the prime source to implement this project. All the service has been provided free of cost to the community through the saved money and by adopting a minimal living lifestyle. To control the cost last from 26th of November project location is commuted by walk in one hour while going and another one hour while returning. Minimum service hours are 6 hours a day and maximum up to 14 hours.
All the materials used in the project are from marine and construction debris, plants, saplings, and grass discarded from the owners and dumped into the trash, total of 9 donors have contributed with some ornamental saplings.
· Description of achieved results.
The comprehensive results achieved in the past 253 days are;
· Cleaning of 3.50 kms of sea coastline, by handling and ensuring correct disposal for a minimum of 60000 gallons of marine debris,
· Removal of lightweight construction blocks from the seashore, transporting and installing manually for artworks, fixing cavities in roads, installing curbs, creating planters for the landscaping, installing and pavement, etc. approximately 15.0 Tons.
· Removal of concrete curbs, transporting and installing manually for the landscaping boundaries, 7.0 tons.
· Removal of mosaic tiles, and installing manually to create a pavement for walkway, 5.0 tons.
· Removal of concrete construction blocks and installing for steps and hardscape boundaries, 2.0 ton.
· Filling of landscaping soil, 60.00 cum.
· Filling of marine sand for fixing roads and pavements, 30.00 cum.
· Planting of saplings 250 Nos.
· Creating a green patch with grass 75.00 Sq.m.
· Creating a seawater breaker with stones, 25.00 meters.
· Surplus and waste ready mix concrete used, 30.00 Cum.
· Creating a green patch in a highly saline environment.
· Creating a foul odor-free environment.
· Benefits of the project implementation.
· Community involvement to create a clean and safe sea coastline.
· Protecting water source from the accumulation of marine debris and risk of construction waste dump.
· Inspiring young children to learn new things and enhance their creativity.
· Creating a green patch in a highly saline environment.
· Education children to plant saplings.
· Creating a clean and safe environment for migratory birds and marine life.
· Managing strays.
· Community involvement to pick lightweight blocks and other materials to re-use for gardening and decoration works.