The SFS-MED Platform is a multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at promoting collaborative actions for the sustainable transformation of food systems in the Mediterranean, ultimately accelerating progress on the delivery of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the region.
The new SFS-MED Platform landing page is available at this link.
The SFS-MED Platform is a community to leverage the existing knowledge, experience and skills of food systems actors across the Mediterranean region. The SFS-MED Platform is led by: the International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM), in collaboration with the Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area (PRIMA), as an affiliated project of the One Planet Network’s Sustainable Food Systems Programme.
The SFS-MED Platform is open to all food systems stakeholders in the region: representatives of governments (governmental agencies, authorities, etc.); international organizations (UN, IFIs, development agencies); civil society (including NGOs, foundations, NPOs, consumers' organizations and movements); academia and research institutions; private sector (including food producers’ associations and cooperatives, MSMEs, etc.).
The SFS-MED Platform is:
- A forum for dialogue and collaboration on priority themes for sustainable food systems in the Mediterranean, acting as a neutral facilitator of multi-stakeholder exchange to enhance policy coherence, build trust, and promote the effective implementation of actions.
- An ideal setting to rebalance sustainability and finance. Dedicated support for the co-creation of flagship projects and investment proposals will enable actors in Mediterranean food systems to access funding and scale up sustainable investments.
- A network for strengthening knowledge sharing and capacity building related to sustainable food consumption and production across the Mediterranean.
- A catalyst of opportunities for regional cooperation for data sharing, science diplomacy, and the advancement of green and blue practices, as well as inclusive and digital innovation.
For further information, please contact the SFS-MED Platform Coordination Desk.
- SFS-MED introductory video
- FAO, CIHEAM and UfM. 2021. Food systems transformation – processes and pathways in the Mediterranean: A stocktaking exercise. Rome, FAO.
- Independent Food Systems Summit Dialogues organized by SFS-MED in 2021:
- Executive brief “Accelerating food systems transformation in the Mediterranean” (also available in Arabic and French)
- Report of the 2nd World Conference on the Revitalization of the Mediterranean Diet
- Working draft of the SFS-MED Platform Common Ground paper