Vietnam Legal review and proposal to foster SPP implementation and consider the integration of ecolabelling
Type of document: Policy and legislation
This document, developed under the EU-funded "Stimulating the demand and supply of sustainable products through Sustainable Public Procurement and Ecolabelling" (SPPEL) project implemented by UN Environment, aims at identifying potential opportunities or barriers to the inclusion of sustainability aspects in the national public procurement framework in Viet Nam, from a legal or regulatory point of view.
It is based on a desk review including an in-depth analysis of a number of documents, in particular:
- International treaties and agreements ratified by Vietnam which may relate to SPP;
- the Law on procurement, which is the main regulatory instrument for public procurement;
- Existing regulations establishing environmental and social standards which can contribute to, influence, or be used in SPP;
- Laws pertaining to environmental, social and economic sustainability, as well as laws related to construction and taxation;
- Other related ministerial decrees and decisions.
This report also examines the potential adoption by the government of sustainability criteria and standards for assessing products, in the framework of the Green Label program and Energy Label program.