SUP-Free is a certification scheme based in Poland. Their mission is to promote single-use plastic free hospitality and make it an industry standard. They offer accommodation providers the tools they need to eliminate single-use plastic and reduce overall waste from their operations. SUP-Free Certification is a third-party certification and management system, which helps hotels eliminate single-use plastic products from their operations. Through educational materials and training, they help hotels eliminate single-use plastics but improve their waste management in general. Offering hotels third-party verification and recognition, as well as helping raise awareness about the plastic problem among guests and the wider public.
Role in programme(s):
Global Tourism Plastics Initiative
In the framework of the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative, SUP-Free commits to:
- Encouraging affiliated organisations, businesses, or partners to join the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative through awareness raising in educational materials and support tools and adding a voluntary criterion to their certification;
- Promoting Global Tourism Plastics Initiative tools and resources among their members by adding links to them in their knowledge hub;
- Eliminating problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging through redesign, innovation, and new delivery models;
- Introducing reuse models where relevant, reducing the need for single-use packaging;
- Ensuring all plastic packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable;
- Establishing that plastic packaging is reused, recycled, or composted in practice;
- Ensuring the use of plastics is fully decoupled from the consumption of finite resources;
- Verifying that plastic packaging is free of hazardous chemicals, and the health, safety, and rights of all people involved are respected.
- Publicly report on implementation of commitments above.