SITA, Travel Corporation India
SITA is an Indian tour operator. In July 2018 the company took a pledge to beat plastic pollution. To align with the global sustainability efforts, the company joined the Beat Plastic Pollution. As a first step towards to support fight against plastic pollution, plastic bottles were banned within the organization.
Role in programme(s):
Tour Operators, Travel Agents and Platforms
Global Tourism Plastics Initiative
In the framework of the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative, SITA, Travel Corporation India commits to:
- Encourage partners in the supply chain and at destination level to join the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative.
- The organization commits to bringing at least 10 organizations as signatories of GTPI by 2025.
- Advise and guide partners in the supply chain and at destination level to better manage plastics in their operations through practices, criteria, standards, and/or policies. Organization plans to, as a starting point, promote banning of plastic bottles in the workplace.
- Communicate successes to partners, suppliers, travelers, and key local stakeholders by providing written instructions, doing on-site training for service providers over next two years and then asking destination teams and tour leading teams to do regular reporting. Organization’s main method of communication are newsletter and social media channels. SITA also plans to add content about success stories on its website and brochures as and when they get printed.
- Publicly report on implementation of commitments above.