Plastic Oceans Australasia
Plastic Oceans Australasia is a not-for-profit organisation based in Australia on a mission to change the world’s attitude to plastic within a generation. They work with community groups, businesses and individuals, offering professional education programs that are scientifically endorsed to inspire people to reduce plastic using self-led initiatives by working with others to eliminate plastic from supply chains and within the community, business and government entities. They provide the wider public - especially younger generations, with educational information on how to reduce their plastic footprint while raising awareness about its impact on the ocean. They believe responsible business is essential to achieving transformational change. POA is working throughout Australasia to change the way we deal with plastic waste by challenging society’s perception that this indestructible substance can be treated as ‘disposable’.
Role in programme(s):
- Encouraging their affiliated organisations and businesses or partners in the supply chain and at destination level to join the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative;
- Inspiring others to reduce plastic use through their 100+ trainings with community groups, businesses and individuals by 2025;
- Eliminating problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging through redesign, innovation, and new delivery models;
- Introducing reuse models where relevant, reducing the need for single-use packaging;
- Ensuring all plastic packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable;
- Establishing that plastic packaging is reused, recycled, or composted in practice;
- Ensuring the use of plastics is fully decoupled from the consumption of finite resources;
- Verifying that plastic packaging is free of hazardous chemicals, and the health, safety, and rights of all people involved are respected.
- Publicly report on implementation of commitments above.