Call for Expressions of Interest- Development and dissemination of a public awareness campaign to promote sustainable lifestyles in Azerbaijan
UNEP is looking for an Implementing Partner to provide technical and substantive support in developing the messages, visuals, videos and/or animations of the campaign, as well as to engage in dissemination and promotion of these materials through traditional (e.g., television, radio, press) and social media
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is one of the five partner agencies implementing the EU-funded EU4Environment programme that supports Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Ukraine) in making policy planning and investment greener, stimulating the uptake of innovative products and technologies, and raising awareness about the benefits of environmental action.
As part of EU4Environment activities in Azerbaijan, UNEP will launch a public awareness campaign in 2023 to encourage sustainable lifestyles/consumption choices among the Azerbaijan public. This work aims to reach at least 1 million Azerbaijani citizens through traditional and social media. The campaign will be designed in consultation with UNEP, the European Commission (EC), the European Union Delegation (EUD) in Azerbaijan, as well as the Ministries of Ecology and Natural Resources, and of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
UNEP is looking for an Implementing Partner to provide technical and substantive support in developing the messages, visuals, videos and/or animations of the campaign, as well as to engage in dissemination and promotion of these materials through traditional (e.g., television, radio, press) and social media.
Who can apply?
This call for expressions of interest is open to any registered non-governmental organization, not-for-profit organization, media development company, think tank or research centre based in Azerbaijan. Applications from the private sector or from consortia will not be considered.
The selected partner must have experience in engaging in communication campaigns aimed at the Azerbaijani public, with a documented track record of advancing messages related to sustainable behaviours and lifestyles. The successful applicant shall therefore possess a good understanding of sustainable consumption and production areas, with proven experience in implementing environmental awareness campaigns aimed at nonexpert audiences.
Existing connections/partnerships with Azerbaijani national government networks, as well as representatives of consumer associations, press/media outlets, academia, and/or civil society are required.
Proficiency in English and Azerbaijani languages is required.
Applicant organizations must be located and registered in Azerbaijan.
Implementation and supervision
3 - 6 months (April to September 2023), with possibility of extension according to campaign needs.
The selected entity will be supervised by UNEP and other implementing organizations of the EU4Environment programme, in close consultation with the European Commission (EC), the European Union Delegation (EUD) in Azerbaijan, as well as the Ministries of Ecology and Natural Resources, and of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
As per the EU4Environment visibility requirements, logos of the European Union must feature on all produced materials. The draft communication materials will be shared with the EU4Environment communication officer and EU Delegation in Azerbaijan for approval before dissemination.
Depending on project proposal and identified needs, a maximum funding envelope (covering all related costs) of USD 70,000 will be made available to develop and disseminate the campaign materials in Azerbaijan.
Please note that UNEP will not be able to disburse entire funding envelope in a single tranche, and thus the selected partner will be expected to deliver some activities using their own internal funding, to be reimbursed by UNEP upon completion of activities.
The selected partner will lead the below-listed activities:
• Identify topics of main concern and interest to the Azerbaijan in the areas of environmentally sustainable behaviours and lifestyles (e.g. waste separation and minimisation; avoid/reduce the use of single-use plastics; active, sustainable mobility such as cycling and walking etc.) through consultations with national stakeholders and/or public surveys;
• Draft related messages and produce a package of informative and inspirations communication products;
• Develop and adapt campaign messages and materials for various communication channels, with synergies with other on-going initiatives in Azerbaijan;
• Plan and approach appropriate partners/dissemination channels to reach a broad, non-expert public; and
• Engage journalists, media, public sector as well as other international and national organizations in disseminating campaign messages/materials to reach at least 1 million Azerbaijan citizens.
Suggested list of materials to be produced (final list of deliverables may vary according to
specific campaign themes, scope and needs):
• 1x landing page (with stored materials) on the EU4Environment website;
• Content/news and links on other relevant websites (e.g., EU4Azerbaijan, government websites, EUD, etc.);
• 1x high-profile/key stakeholder video statement to inspire and call people to action
(e.g., Minister, EU ambassador and/or another prominent national figure, for example);
• 1x press release announcing the launch (and end) of the campaign, including a quick presentation of the key issues/messages it aims to convey;
• 2x infographics (1 per campaign topic) explaining the current situation with striking statistics/figures and pathways for solutions - suitable for social media;
• 2x animated infographics or video(approx. 1 minute in length) with broadly the same content as in the static infographics, for both social media and TV dissemination (some examples of style and format here and here);
• A selection of merchandising products (e.g., eco-bags made from upcycled, materials, re-useable water recipients/cups etc) to be produced in small quantities and disseminated through local partners, ensuring long term dissemination of key campaign messages.
• Development of printed materials (e.g., booklet or magazine of roughly 10-15 pages). which explain complex issues to the general public and encourage practical solutions.
• Social media cards that are informative, action-oriented and inspiring to the public (e.g., adapted from the Anatomy of Action framework).
Expected dissemination partners:
• National media (TV, print, radio) – to be secured by the partner or through a subcontracted PR agency.
• Social media channels/websites of:
- EU4Environment Facebook accounts in Azerbaijan (regional and national);
- EU Delegation (e.g. YouTube account), EU Neighbours and EU4Azerbaijan; - Global Compact Network Azerbaijan;
- Ministries of Ecology and Natural Resources, and of Economy of Azerbaijan, as well as other relevant government bodies;
- Civil society/NGOs;
- UN Information Centre of Azerbaijan;
- Prominent figures/influencers (to be identified and on-boarded); and - Other mass media channels.
• Public and private transportation companies (metro, bus, aviation, inter alia) Local/regional tourism, government as well as academic bodies.
Visibility requirements: Recipients of EU funding have a general obligation to acknowledge the origin and ensure the visibility of any EU funding received. The visibility obligations apply equally, regardless of whether the actions concerned are implemented by the European Commission, through grants and procurement contracts, or partners through indirect management. The following guidelines apply for this project.
How to Apply
Interested organizations should submit the completed application template and all supporting annexes via email to Ms. Helena Rey(email@example.com), with copy to Mr. AlexLeshchynskyy(firstname.lastname@example.org)and Mr. Kamran Rzayev(email@example.com).