FORUM OCEANO Side event - Blue Carbon Ecosystems for Regenerative Tourism
The side-event will explore innovative solutions to accelerate the transformation towards regenerative tourism through the protection of blue carbon ecosystems.
Blue carbon ecosystems such as mangroves, tidal marshes and seagrasses have a remarkable sequestration potential. These coastal and marine ecosystems are closely connected to tourism: Approximately 80% of global tourism takes place in coastal destinations; Tourism represents 40% of the blue economy. At the same time, coastal ecosystems are impacted by tourism development.
As the tourism sector embraces more low carbon operations, investments in blue carbon markets can support mitigating residual emissions, while unlocking opportunities and finance to further support conservation, creating a virtuous circle for tourism destinations and leading the way to net zero.
The side-event will be anchored on the Paris Agreement Article 6 “Rulebook” on international climate markets.
Moderator and panellists:
· Ms. Zoritsa Urosevic, Executive Director, UNWTO
· Mr. Miguel Naranjo, Programme Officer, UNFCCC (on line)
· Mr. Frederic Degret, CEO, NOAH Regen
· Mr. Michael Mathres, Founder & Director, Fund Nature
· Ms. Megan Morikawa, Global Sustainability Director, Iberostar Group
· Ms. Amanda Ho, CEO & Founder, Regenerative Travel