EVENT: HLPF Side Event - Towards Sustainable, Inclusive and Responsible Mineral Resources Governance Post COVID-19
When: 15 July (1:30pm CEST / 7:30am EDT)
Opportunities and challenges exist for mineral resource governance to contribute to the green recovery and the achievement of the SDGs. But what are the prospects for coordination and collaboration at all levels, including through intergovernmental organisations, to move towards more responsible governance of mineral resources?
The UNEA-4/19 Resolution on Mineral Resource Governance was adopted in 2019 recognizing the important contribution of metal and mineral resources to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, the dependence of low-carbon clean technologies on these resources and the critical role that governance plays in ensuring positive outcomes from mineral development.
During this event, high-level panellists and participants will discuss the findings of the consultations UNEP undertook to implement the Resolution in the context of a green and inclusive recovery and its contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals. The event will also explore what will be required and where efforts should concentrate to promote the transition towards more sustainable and responsible mineral resources governance.
The event is organized by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Green Growth Knowledge Partnership (GGKP).
Opening remarks from the Government of Switzerland
Stephen Barrie, Deputy Director of Ethics and Engagement, Church of England Pensions Board
Kristi Disney Bruckner, Senior Policy Advisor, Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance
Rohitesh Dhawan, Executive Director, International Council on Mining and Metals
Daniel Franks, Professor, Sustainable Minerals Institute, University of Queensland
Victoria Tauli Corpuz, Founder and Executive Director of Tebtebba Foundation; Former UN Special Rapporteur on Indigenous Peoples Rights
Moderated by Ligia Noronha, Assistant Secretary-General, Head of UNEP’s New York Office
- #GGKPwebinar: Rebuilding Better: What's sand got to do with it? (13 October 2020)
- UNECE Seminar on mine tailings safety in the UNECE region and beyond (1 Dec 2020)
- #GGKPwebinar: Managing Metals and Minerals: Key takeaways from the 2019 OECD Green Growth and Sustainable Development (GGSD) Forum (5 December 2019)
- UNECE Decision on strengthening mine tailings safety in the UNECE region and beyond, adopted by the Conference of the Parties to the UNECE Industrial Accidents Convention at its 11th meeting (Geneva and online, 7-9 Dec 2020)
- UNECE Safety Guidelines and Good Practices on Tailings Management Facilities