EVENT: Global Tourism Plastics Initiative industry launch
LOCATION: IFEMA-FITUR NEXT (Hall 4, Stand 4G24), Nº 5 Avenida del Partenón, 28042 Madrid, Spain
The Global Tourism Plastics Initiative aims to articulate, support and scale-up action by tourism stakeholders and is building a global alliance to fight plastic pollution. As part of the activities of the One Planet Sustainable Tourism Programme, the Initiative is led by UN Environment and UNWTO in collaboration with Ellen MacArthur Foundation.
Recognising the global importance of the tourism sector and its role as an agent of change, the Initiative will support partner organizations in making better use of plastics in their operations and reducing plastic waste. In particular, action towards 2025 is being structured through the development of a menu of commitments for private sector, destinations and associations to define concrete roadmaps for implementation by 2025.
During the launch, the operational structure of the Initiative will be presented and key stakeholders will explain the co-creation process of the menu of commitments. Leading businesses, destinations and associations will share their inspiring actions and engagement with the Global Tourism Plastics Initiative.
- Mr. Zurab Pololikashvili, Secretary-General, World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)
- Mr. Najib Balala, Minister of Tourism and Wildlife of Kenya
- Ms. Ligia Noronha, Director, Economy Division, UN Environment Programme (UNEP) – video
Statements from the One Planet Lead and Co-leads
- Dr. Dirk Glaesser, Director, Sustainable Development of Tourism Department, UNWTO
- Ms. Anne Pluvinage-Nierengarten, Chief of Global Affairs, Ministry of Ecological and Inclusive Transition, France
- Mr. Ignacio Angulo Ranz, Deputy Director, Tourism Development and Sustainability, Secretariat of State for Tourism, Spain
Moderator: Mr. Gerald Naber, Manager, New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, Ellen MacArthur Foundation Panelists:
- Ms. Megan Morikawa, Global Sustainability Director, Iberostar
- Mr. Arnaud Herrmann, Vice President of Sustainability, Accor
- Mr. Matt Crane, CEO of Monty’s Bakehouse and Member of the Airlines Sustainability Forum
- Mr. Jeremy Sampson, CEO, The Travel Foundation (tbc)