Consumer Information Online Conference: Turning Information Into Action
The UN Environment Programme and the Consumer Information Programme of the One Planet network are hosting the conference "Turning information into action: Providing product sustainability information that changes consumption behavior". The conference will be held online from the 13th to the 16th of September on Webex Events. Sessions will be held in English and the platform provides automatic translation to several other languages.
The objective of this conference is to inspire businesses to communicate effectively on the sustainability of their products to change people’s behaviour
The conference seeks to raise business awareness on how to improve their communication strategy to encourage more sustainable consumption through the effective use of consumer information tools.
- How sustainable and innovative businesses can improve their communication strategy to influence people’s behaviour (GEC) towards more sustainable choices ?
- How can businesses provide relevant, transparent and reliable information?
- What are the main barriers for businesses to communicate about the sustainability of their products and how can businesses overcome those?
- How can governments, marketing, technical organisations and other stakeholders help address those barriers?
The conference will bring together representatives from the private sector, including industry associations, marketing agencies, chambers of commerce, and others, interested in improving their communication and engagement with consumers and other stakeholders. Governments, standard-setting and labeling organizations, research institutes, consumer NGOs, and other relevant stakeholders will also be involved.
Information, tools, and best practices covered in the conference will assist stakeholders in identifying the key next steps to improving business communication strategies to encourage more sustainable consumption behaviour.
- Seizing the opportunity of sustainable consumption for business: how to communicate products' sustainability and change consumption behaviour (13 Sep, 14:00 to 16:00 CEST)
- Reaching consumers through credible eco-labelling (14 Sep, 12:00 to 13:30 CEST)
- How can e-commerce platforms empower the sustainable online consumer? (14 Sep, 14:00 to 16:00 CEST)
- Food systems: Opportunities and challenges in leveraging product sustainability information to shape more sustainable food supply and demand (15 Sep, 10:30 to 12:00 CEST)
- Building the business case for nature friendly consumption: how businesses scale up consumer information on biodiversity and ecosystem services and thrive (15 Sep, 14:00 to 16:00 CEST)
- Fashion sector: The role of product sustainability information to engage consumers and businesses on product lifetime extension (16 Sep, 14:00 to 16:00 CEST)
- Environmental Alliance of the Americas: how can this regional eco-labelling approach change the rules of the game for SCP and promote a more sustainable trade in Latin America? (16 Sep, 16:30 to 18:00 CEST)
The conference is supported through a project by the International Climate Initiative of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection, Germany (BMUV).