16th Asia Pacific Roundtable for Sustainable Consumption and Production Conference - Bridging Net Zero by SCP and Circular Economy
The Asia Pacific Roundtable for Sustainable Consumption and Production (APRSCP)
The APRSCP is an international, not-for-profit, network institution, legally registered as APRSCP Foundation in the Kingdom of Thailand. that promotes sustainable consumption and production in the Asia-Pacific. It was established in 1997 with the active support of multilateral agencies like UNIDO, UNEP, and UNESCAP to enhance and strengthen cooperation in the development and implementation of sustainable consumption and production (SCP) policies & practices. Over these years, it has provided a platform for multi-stakeholder dialogue among stakeholders on the urgency to address sustainable development challenges by adopting policies that support people, protect the planet and promote social and economic equity.
Its flagship event, the Roundtable, has been held every 18 to 24 months since its inception to facilitate uptake of SCP research, policy and practice in the region. It has held 15 roundtables in the region till date. These roundtables were hosted by member countries in the region and were co-organized by the APRSCP, national governments, and its partners such as UNEP, UNIDO, GIZ and IGES. APRSCP has brought transformative changes in the region leading to lasting and deep impacts on SCP policy and governance and emerged as the VOICE of SCP in the Asia-Pacific region.
The region has seen commendable progress in adopting SCP practices and APRSCP is proud of its contributions in mainstreaming SCP in the region. However, it is not the time to be complacent as it strongly believes that economic growth has yet to translate into progress for millions in the Asia Pacific and the region faces several challenges. In this critical time, the region needs leadership, courage, and optimism to spark the action and bring about transformative impacts on the lives of millions. This edition of the Roundtable i.e., 16th APRSCP Conference is a small step in that direction and also the celebration of the 25th anniversary of APRSCP since the establishment in Bangkok in November 1997.
The 16th APRSCP will provide a platform for multi-stakeholders from Asia and the Pacific to come together to:
- Promote best practices, programs, local initiatives, and lessons learned on SCP, Circular Economy and Net Zero Emission related projects in Asia and the Pacific region.
- Identify synergies and build cooperation to engage actively in the development and implementation of the SCP, Circular Economy, and Net Zero Emission 2030 and 2050 targets.
- Enhance discussions and sharing experiences and lessons learned in scaling up existing and new SCP and Circular Economy technologies, strategies, tools and approaches through research and information awareness, capacity building, financing, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Compendium of best practices, programs, local initiatives, and lessons learned on SCP, Circular Economy and Net Zero Emission related projects in Asia and the Pacific region.
- A set of recommendations on how stakeholders can scale up implementation of SCP, Circular Economy and Net Zero Emission technologies, tools, and approaches through specific current or new projects, programs, and strategies to be implemented in the next 3-5 years.
- Recommended regional program/activities for research, communication, capacity building, financing, and monitoring and evaluation to scale up SCP, Circular Economy and Net Zero Emission best practices and initiatives.
Information on the Sessions
a. Plenary Sessions
- Public-Private Regional Initiatives & Cooperation toward Net Zero Transition by SCP and Circular Economy
- SCP Regional Program/ Activities to be implemented in the next 3-5 years on SCP and Circular Economy towards the Net Zero Transition in the Asia and the Pacific Region
b. Roundtable sessions
There are 3 Roundtable Sessions focusing on selected priority areas on SCP & Circular Economy:
- Roundtable 1: SCP & Circular Economy in planning and implementation
- Roundtable 2: Mainstreaming SCP & Circular Economy in priority sectors
- Roundtable 3: Net Zero Transition with Collaborative Actions
Each Roundtable will have two sessions where speakers (resource experts and country representatives) will present on the selected topics followed by interactive discussions and insights from participants, including presentations of submitted technical scientific papers with latest research findings and best practices on technology, management, and policy on SCP and Circular Economy towards Net Zero Transition.