Professor of Public Health Nutrition
Mark is Professor of Public Health Nutrition at the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition, Deakin University. He has 37 years’ experience working as a practitioner and academic in food and nutrition policy at local, state, national and international levels. Mark’s research interests focus on healthy and sustainable food systems, dietary guidelines, ultra-processed foods and food regulation. He teaches students enrolled in courses related to nutrition science, public health nutrition, food policy and dietetics. His latest research book is titled, ‘Healthy and Sustainable Food Systems’, Routledge. He is:
· Member, International Union of Nutritional Sciences Task Force on Sustainable Diets;
· External advisor, World Health Organization;
· External advisor, Food and Agriculture Organization;
· Board member, Food Standards Australia New Zealand;
· Team leader, Australian Research Council project, ‘Reforming evidence synthesis and translation for food and nutrition policy’;
· Former member, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council’s Dietary Guidelines Working Committee.