Sustainable Facilities Management Guide
The Guide introduces operational requirements to any ICI facilities, implementation starts with creating sustainable operation & management policy relevant to the Facility activities, demonstrating the facility's objectives in reducing the environmental, social and economic impacts.
The Sustainable Facilities Management Guide has facilitated and adopted successful tools to manage and operate all facilities through its production and providing services life cycle, furthermore the guide has adopted Integrated Waste Management plan and procedures that ensures Zero Waste Facilities to the municipality landfills and minimizing hazardous waste to the minimum applicable amount.
Sustainable Facilities Management Guide
Sustainable Facilities Management Guide SFMG is an initiative set in response to ISO MENA STAR Project, aims to promote and enhance implementing the ISO standards for sustainable development in the Middle east and North Africa.
It is the first guide in Arabic Language to serves as a reference guide for operating Industrial, Commercial and Institutional Facilities (ICI) and minimizes the Environmental, Social and Economic Impacts associated with managing and operating facilities.
The UN 10 year framework program on sustainable consumption and production 10YFP requires that all facilities should minimize the Environmental, Social and Economic impacts from manufacturing, Fabrication or providing services associated with its activities, Jordan Law No. 6 of 2017 on Environmental Protection and The General Waste Management Framework Law promotes the extended producer’s responsibility (EPR) and pollutant pays, In addition to the SDGs and Climate Change mitigation requirements all are emerging issues and drivers to put in place and practice sustainable Facilities management based on ISO and other international standards.
The Sustainable Facilities Management Guide has facilitated and adopted successful tools to manage and operate all facilities through its production and providing services life cycle, furthermore the guide has adopted Integrated Waste Management plan and procedures that ensures Zero Waste Facilities to the municipality landfills and minimizing hazardous waste to the minimum applicable amount., the Guide addresses sustainable operation and management in the facilities over the following areas of practices:
1. Facility Management System
2. Sustainable energy consumption
3. Sustainable Water Consumption
4. Sustainable safety, occupational health and visual and thermal comfort
5. Providing Sustainable training, meetings and organizing events
6. Sustainable Integrated Waste Management
7. Sustainable built environment of the facility including maintenance and renovations
8. Sustainable travel & transportation
9. Sustainable marketing, advertising, publications and packaging
10. Sustainable public procurement
11. Sustainable cleaning and Housekeeping
12. Sustainable occupancy of staff and visitors
13. Environmental Management System of the Facility
The next step is to establish Sustainability Team (ST)among the facility staff (ST includes Sustainability Manager, Green Champion for each area of practice, Purchasing Manager, HR Manager, Maintenance and Housekeeping…) the ST shall conduct hands on training, and working with them to improve the production performance, or quality of delivering services, in addition to reducing the operational expenses without compromising on the quality or performance, follow up and monitor the implementation.
Benefits of implementation the sustainable facilities management requirements:
- A key tool to achieve circular facility and enhance the circular economy
- Reducing energy and water consumption
- The implementation of sustainable procurement practices is a contribution to the international efforts to support 10YFP on sustainable Consumption and production and Goal 12 of the SDGs and other SDGs
- Reducing waste generation in facilities to achieve Zero Waste Facilities and enhancing recycling and reusing practices
- Improving facility's Environmental Performance
- Reducing expenses resulting from savings in excessive consumption of paper, energy, water, fuel, meeting practices, etc.
- Improving the Corporate image of the facility, achieving self-satisfaction
- A marketing tool of the facility and its products
- compliance with Laws and Corporate Social Responsibility