- Europe and Central Asia
Sectors of activity
Consumer Goods, Scientific Research, Development and Innovation
Type of initiative
Education & Awareness Raising, Research, Analysis, Assessment
Type of lead actor
The general objective of the study is to contribute to sustainable consumption.
The specific objectives of the investigation are:
1. Understand the Spanish citizens and discover how they connect their consumption with their values, beliefs and worries about the world. Understand and quantify their habits and decisions and what are their barriers to sustainable consumption.
2. Analyze the proposals of the "new economies at the service of people and the planet" on consumer issues, the way in which, from their plurality, these proposals reach the private consumers and the perception that they have of them. There is no name that encompasses all the movements that are making proposals for an economy to service of people and the planet. In this study we have focused on twelve, but it is not an exhaustive list and does not constitute a homogenous movement: ethical finance and banking with values, economics green and ecologist, collaborative economy, social and solidarity economy, circular and blue economy, companies with positive social and environmental impact, economy of the common good, slow movement, feminist economy, degrowth movement, open source commons and transition movement.
3. Value the transformative potential of the new economies in six different sectors (food, mobility, fashion, finance, home and leisure) to contribute to a change in consumer behavior towards more sustainable models, and make recommendations to consumers, representatives of the new economies and public administrations for the development of sustainable consumption on a large scale
1. Description of the New Economies: Origin, values, structure of their organisations, geographical scope, members, networks, achivements...
2. Analysis of their proposals about sustainable consumption
3. Consumer's survey: focus groups for active users and online survey for general population
4. Research of their proposals for consumers in terms of sustainability, transparency, offer, consumer habits and local consumption
5. Recommendations for consumers, New economies and Governments for a more conscious consumption
Impact and Results
Consumer awareness - 250.000 people
Media - 25 publications, TV and radio programs
New economies - Debates with the 12 new economies to improve their matching with sustainable consumer expectations
Next steps and how to get involved
Please share with us your knowledge about New Economies and their impact on consumers all around the World.
We'll be pleased to share our findings with you and start a dialogue with the purpose to improve sustainable consumption and production.