Climate Change Impacts, Surge Value, Disaster Vulnerability in Odisha
- Asia / Pacific
Sectors of activity
Agricultural and Fishery, Scientific Research, Development and Innovation, Tourism
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising, Research, Analysis, Assessment
Type of lead actor
The primary objective of the project is to demonstrate sustainable improvement in quality of life and a
tangible reduction in vulnerability of fishing families through interventions that enhance incomes and
improve habitat conditions.
Primary objectives are:
• Popularizing the ICT among the community
• Create demand for kiosk and PFZ board in the operational villages
Important objectives are:
• Risk reduction and livelihood promotion through ICT
• To link fishing families in the target area with the information on PFZ and guide them to identify
the area in the sea through global Positioning System (GPS);To build capacities to analysis the information on PFZ and handle the GPS in a financially
• To build capacities of local institutions to develop the early warning system during the time
As collected through the One Planet Reporting
No activities have yet been reported under this initiative
Impact and Results
The program impacts is envisaged by taking two dimensions: firstly, the project will improve upon
livelihood conditions of fishing communities through the appropriate technology based information and
secondly build the capacities of the village institutions reduce the risks and links with outside institutions
and service delivery enterprises for value addition of their product. By the end of the year, following impacts
could be visible.
• Demand generated for ICT and PFZ board among the fishing communities;
• Early warning system reduces the loss of lives and resources in the target area.
• Capacity building and skill up gradation of youth group will lead to empowerment of this
vulnerable section of the society.
Next steps and how to get involved
The project now requires a body, preferably an NGO to take care of the grounding of the program and to
ensure that the community involved the process of the implementation of the project. In this background Action for Food Production (AFPRO), a national level NGO with considerable experience in facilitating people centered Natural Resource Management and livelihood programs including fisheries, with the association of Udyama proposes to take up the responsibility of as a management partner(s) in implementation of the program for one year.