- South Africa
Sectors of activity
Environmental Services, Waste, incl. Chemicals, Food & Beverage
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Policy Frameworks & Tools, Research, Analysis, Assessment
Type of lead actor
To promote food production and consumption to the top of the policymaker’s agenda through five main objectives:
• To identify the causes of food waste and loss and identify opportunities to halve food loss and waste by 2025.
• To reduce the footprint of diets by engaging the private sector in efforts, including creating and piloting better consumption engagement models with partners, to ensure consumption patterns are shifted towards an environmentally and socially sustainable trajectory.
• To support national government in achieving the SDG 2 and 12 and, crucially, to use the platform of the UNEP Sustainable Food System target and government’s pivotal role in this to catalyse collective efforts to reduce the impact of food production on the environment.
• To ensure long term impact and scale by building capacity and working in partnership with government, private sector and local and international organisations committed to establishing a resource smart food system.
As collected through the One Planet Reporting
No activities have yet been reported under this initiative
Impact and Results
The overall result should be a greater awareness of where to intervene in the system for greater positive impact. This systemic intervention will be informed by results in specific project areas:
- Full value chain: Food waste advocacy
Strengthened organisational capacity and strengthened alliances. Outreach and advocacy also results in strengthened support base for food waste reduction actions leading to improved policy and voluntary food industry commitments.
- Production: Innovation research and dialogue
Unique research identifies new drivers of change and risks of unsustainable production, scenario analysis facilitates dialogue around the implications of and leading to action on policy aligned with SDG 12
- Consumption: Sustainable diets action in food industry
Driving accountability within the food industry and leading to improved policy and/or voluntary food industry action
Local and International Policy:
- Strengthened institutional capacity and strengthened alliances. Food security policy framework promotes the adoption of evidenced based policies across government department silos for a sustainable food system
International context: SFS Food Programme Co-Lead: WWF and South African government deliver on their co-lead responsibilities enabling a transition towards a sustainable food system and influence of the programme extended into the region (SDG 2, 12)
Next steps and how to get involved
Contact Nomahlubi Nkume:NNkume@thedti.gov.za
Tatjana von Bormann: email@example.com