- Asia / Pacific
- Latin America / Caribbean
Sectors of activity
Water, Buildings and construction, Energy, Public Procurement
Type of initiative
Education & Awareness Raising, Policy Frameworks & Tools
The specific objective of the programme is to equip UN country teams with the necessary tools and information to:
1. Support governments in transforming their buildings and construction sector to be a resource efficient, low carbon and climate resilient sector, through coherent policy support and results-focused programming based on science and facts.
2. Raise awareness and strengthen the capacity of national stakeholders on sustainable buildings and construction related benefits and opportunities with an emphasis on material efficiency.
The joint programme will use the country’s UNSCDF as a strategic entry point for the UN to:
● Engage with national governments and buildings and construction value chain stakeholders, and advocate for mainstreaming sustainable buildings and construction approaches and practices.
● Link UNCT operations with public and private SBC related stakeholders such as relevant ministries and institutions, SMEs, think tanks, construction sector chambers/federations/associations, academia, and innovation sector related to SBC.
● Promote the opportunities and critical role of buildings and construction, namely housing, as a key sector for countries to achieve their SDGs and NDCs, including enhancing the demand for sustainable buildings and construction from national decision makers, and value chain stakeholders from private companies to consumers.
The joint programme will provide guidance to UNCTs and governments by collecting, improving, and disseminating tools and approaches to:
● Mainstream sustainable buildings and construction approaches that are tailored to local contexts
● Guide and support countries national buildings and construction value chain stakeholders in developing coherent sustainable buildings and construction strategies, plans, policies and regulation, and processes to support sustainable and resource efficient materials use in planning, design, procurement, construction, operation, maintenance, and decommissioning for buildings and construction.
● Establish National Alliances for Buildings and construction, strengthen local skills and capacities and encourage locally adapted research and innovation on sustainable and resource efficient materials use.
● Assess the investment value in SBC approaches, with an emphasis on housing sector related programmes.
As collected through the One Planet Reporting
No activities have yet been reported under this initiative
Impact and Results
Outcome 1: Strengthened technical resources of UNCTs to support governments in mainstreaming sustainability, resource efficiency, in the buildings and constructions sector to achieve the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement.
Outcome 2: UNCTs, supported by the PUNOs, have enhanced capacities to programme, raise resources, and utilise the potential of the buildings and constructions sector to achieve the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement.
Expected Impact: Improved strategic implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement through enhanced UN support to governments for mainstreaming sustainable buildings and constructions, with a focus on the housing sector.