Sectors of activity
Water, Energy, Food & Beverage
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising
Type of lead actor
The overall objective of the action is to foster the adoption of SCP practices in the Kenyan horticultural processing industry in order to support the transformation towards an inclusive green economy which generates growth, creates jobs and reduces poverty. Linked to this objective, the indicators established to assess its achievement are as follows:
- 5% increase in jobs in the horticultural sector by the end of the action (2021).
- 5% increase in the contribution of the horticultural sector to the GDP by the end of the action (2021).
To attain this overall objective, the action is specifically aimed at equipping Kenyan Horticultural Processing MSMEs, eco-entrepreneurs and business service providers with the necessary knowledge and tools to promote and adopt SCP practices and seize green economy opportunities.
The action will be executed in 42 months through a multipronged approach based on 3 axes of action coupled with transversal activities to ensure an adequate visibility, management and monitoring of the action, as well as an efficient cooperation with the SWITCH Africa Green Network.
• Analysis of the Value Chain, gaps identification and selection of best SCP.
• Provide technical advisory services to MSMEs for the implementation
of best SCP. Capacity building on the implementation of Environmental
Management Systems (EMS) and certification of MSMEs against ISO
• Creation of a panel of expert service providers on SCP by training
business intermediaries and service providers on mechanisms to support
environmental certification and SCP uptake by MSMEs.
• Capacity building on green financing and assistance for the development
of Green Business Plans. Facilitate contacts between MSMEs and financing
institutions to present the Green Business Plans developed.
• Promote Public Private Partnerships and Voluntary Agreements between
supply chain actors to increase the share of green products marketed
through business match-making meetings and networking sessions.
• Consumer awareness raising campaigns to increase the demand for
sustainable food products.
Impact and Results
Result 1- Kenyan Horticultural Processing MSMEs engaged in resource-efficient production
Result 2 - Enabled business environment and enhanced access to finance for SCP-related investments
Result 3 - Increased demand for sustainable processed horticultural products and the up-scaling and replication of successful SCP practices
Next steps and how to get involved
Open for consultancy services on SCP practices in processing food sector, on EMS training and on consumer awareness campaign.
For more information on the project or on open calls, please contact the coordinator Ms. Idoia Unzueta at firstname.lastname@example.org