- Asia / Pacific
Sectors of activity
Environmental Services, Consumer Goods, Education
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising
Type of lead actor
The aim of the GAW India is to make a valuable contribution towards advancing sustainable development and reducing poverty, by promoting worldwide awareness and advocacy activities, which encourage sustainable patterns of consumption. The purpose of the GAW Fund India is to strengthen the role that consumer and environmental organisations can play as a vibrant part of civil society to raise awareness of the environmental and other impacts of consumption and promote and contribute to sustainable patterns of consumption amongst consumers, policymakers and other key stakeholders. Other than this some major goals are as mentioned below:
1. Raise consumer awareness on the environmental impacts of consumption and promote sustainable patterns of consumption.
2. Minimise the waste and reduce pressure on natural resources.
3. Empower people to create, trade, swop, access and share goods, services and resources among themselves.
4. Promote the cultures of sharing and collaboration.
5. Motivate the community to adopt new technique for conservation of resources for sustainable consumption.
6. Initiate and implement social and community development activities through natural and other available resources conservation among all sections of the society.
7. Bring about a change in the society by changing the behaviour of people by involving them in this process of change.
For celebrating GAW (India) 2018, 11 states were selected besides Jaipur (Rajasthan) and 12 organisations partnered which widened the profile of the campaign both at National and State level with enhanced responsibilities to achieve envisioned targets. 11 states covered under GAW (India) 2017, amounts 60 percent of the total area of the country. The selection of states keeps a ‘North-SouthEast-west’ approach and provides reasonably dynamic penetration to the campaign throughout the nation.
Impact and Results
GAW (India) 2018 mainly focuses on sharing within communities, rather than on the systems through which they are shared. In this way, the aim is to promote strong and collaborating communities while increasing access to goods and services without further stressing the planetary boundaries. And by setting good examples of cultures of sharing, one can learn from each other about sustainable development and lifestyles. One way of improving accessibility to goods and services without increasing the stress on the planet is to share. By challenging the norm of consumerism, one can reduce waste and improve resource efficiency. Sharing community is, in other words, a concrete example of a more sustainable consumption culture enables development.
Throughout the campaign, there was good media coverage, and activities were conducted successfully in all the states.
Next steps and how to get involved
The theme for 2019 will be same i.e., Sharing Community. CUTS along with SSNC and global partners will celebrate the annual campaign with same vigor and enthusiasm.