- Latin America / Caribbean
- Costa Rica
Sectors of activity
Buildings and construction, Public Procurement, Industrial Sector
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising, Policy Frameworks & Tools
Type of lead actor
1. Encourage and support small and medium-sized concrete producers in Latin America to improve the level of sustainability and responsibility of their concrete production and use.
2. Engage with multiple stakeholders from the civil society, academia, public authorities and the business sector to adapt the responsible sourcing standard, the methodology and the certification system for responsibly sourced concrete to the local needs of Latin America.
3. Seek recognition from the ISEAL Alliance to ensure robust internal processes for further implementation and development of the standard as well as improve credibility of the certification system.
4. Implement the sustainability and responsible sourcing methodology, developing capacity building and training tools and a comprehensive certification system in Latin America for the concrete value chain.
5. Develop a platform to allow stakeholders to exchange on best practices and guidelines to scale-up and replicate the project in different regions.
6. Engage with local policy makers to implement supportive policy and regulations on green public procurement and sustainable construction to stimulate the demand for responsibly sourced concrete.
Organisation of a stakeholder Consultation Forum to Promote supportive policies
for the establishment of green public procurement (GPP) in Latin American countries.
Supportive policies include raise awareness of the importance of GPP Agenda.
Promote the recognition of responsible sourcing certification in Green Building Labels
Communication about sustainable and responsibly sourced concrete (lectures, newsletters, website, etc.). The communication materials will target concrete companies, green building construction professionals, public authorities and other interested parties.
Formally apply for ISEAL Recognition
Development of training materials (Spanish and English) and translation of existing English
materials. Translation of the technical manual.
Develop toolkit for concrete companies in Spanish: quick scan, templates, guidance documents, certification tool, etc. in order to implement the system in Latin America.
Organisation of face to face gathering of companies and trainings
Organize virtual training material for Latin America concrete companies to get trained: concrete producers (quality managers, procurement personnel), etc. Research and report on the inefficiencies in Informal construction and overview of sustainable construction in Latin America
Impact and Results
The implementation of the responsible sourcing system, as mentioned above, will foster resource efficiency, thus protecting natural resources, land and biodiversity; the workers conditions, underpinning best practices in health and safety and innovation thanks to the impact the certification will have all along the value chain pulling the whole sector towards higher standards and thus ensuring a shift towards sustainable consumption and production patters.
Through this project we want also to promote knowledge and raise awareness among companies and authorities about sustainable construction, engaging with local policy makers to implement supportive policy and regulations on green public procurement and sustainable construction which would stimulate the demand for responsibly sourced concrete.
Next steps and how to get involved