- Latin America / Caribbean
Sectors of activity
Environmental Services, Consumer Goods, Waste, incl. Chemicals, Energy, Public Procurement, Industrial Sector
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising, Research, Analysis, Assessment
Type of lead actor
United Nations / intergovernmental organizations
The Advance SCP project supports the development and implementation of sustainability information systems (SIS) in eight emerging economies across three regions of the world: South-East Asia, Africa & Latin America; adapting itself to the varying circumstances of the pilot countries and their needs in terms of SCP.
The main activities developed in the Project are:
- Development of Life Cycle Inventory data for refineries, hydroelectric power plants and landfills and a National Economic Input-Output Life Cycle Assessment (EIO-LCA) database
- Application of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methodology and development of environmental profiles and sustainability criteria for 3 products prioritized for Sustainable Public Procurement
- Update/strengthening of existing NAMA for the Energy and/or Waste sector.
- Web with the data base and the input and output matrix (calculadora): http://perulca.com
Impact and Results
Amongst the main results, more than 50 professionals from government, private sector and academia trained on LCA methodology, and 3 LCA sectorial studies were developed (hydropower plant, sanitary landfills and refinery products). Launch of National LCA Database on May 23rd. 4 scientific papers published in international journals based on the results of the project and activities have been promoted in the Peru IKI Newsletter.
More information can be found at:
Also, 3 videos were produced in order to present the main results of the project (the videos are linked at the bottom of the page):
- Solid Waste Management in Peruvian cities
Video on the generation of urban solid waste (MSW) in Peru and its management in Peruvian cities. The current challenges for managing MSW in the main cities of the country are discussed.
- Solid Waste Management in the Peruvian Amazon
Video on the generation of urban solid waste (MSW) in Peru and its management in the Peruvian Amazon. The current challenges to improve the management of these MSW in areas with tropical climate are discussed.
- PeruLCA Web Portal
Informative video about the website of PeruLCA, the Peruvian national database of life cycle inventories.
Next steps and how to get involved
For more information on this initiative, please contact Mrs. Beatriz Martins Carneiro (email@example.com) or Mr. Ignacio Sanchez Diaz (firstname.lastname@example.org).