- Sustainable Food System
During the plenary of the 46th Session of the UN CFS, a video of UN Secretary General was displayed in which Mr. Gutérres announced the convening of a UN Food Systems Summit in 2021. The Summit had been jointly requested by FAO, IFAD, WFP and the World Economic Forum. According to preliminary discussions, the key objectives of the Summit would be:
- Affirming the centrality of food systems to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda;
- Aligning stakeholders involved in food systems transformation around a common practical framework;
- Strengthening evidence and developing tools for decision makers to make choices on trade-offs;
- Promoting a science-policy interface on food systems; and
- Accelerating multi-stakeholder actions at different levels.
The SFS Programme welcomes this announcement and looks forward to contributing to the UN Food Systems Summit!