- Asia / Pacific
- South Asian Forum for Environment (SAFE)
Education, Waste, Other
Sectors of activity
Industrial Sector, Waste, incl. Chemicals, Education
Type of initiative
Education & Awareness Raising, Policy Frameworks & Tools, Other
Type of lead actor
The project aims to achieve sustainable usage of paper and textiles through awareness and education on augmenting the lifecycle of these materials, as well as ensuring alternative livelihoods for women waste workers.
Implementing an operational framework for 4R (Reduce, Reuse, Recover & Recycle), and setting up micro-enterprises for paper and textile waste recycling.
Impact and Results
1. Targeted urban consumers voluntarily adopt sustainable consumption practice of paper and textiles and accept recycled microutility products as substitutes of paper and textile in regular usage
2. Lifecycle of paper and textile products are enhanced by recycling interventions for delivering substitute microutility products of recycled paper and textile thereby reducing emission footprints
Paper and textile wastes are recycled to make small usable household products and stationeries to effectively increase the lifecycle of paper and textile and as well reduce the consumption of fresh paper and textile for usage in households and offices.
3. Women waste workers are mainstreamed through micro-enterprises on recycling, financial inclusion and empowered to overcome exploitation and abate social abuses.
Women waste workers are empowered through participation in micro-enterprises on recycling and are given access to finance with the aim to overcome exploitation and social exclusion.
4. A draft operational framework based on sustainable lifestyle education towards urban waste management, with special reference to paper and textile waste recycling enterprise, is developed to address waste scavenging. as there is a need to find economic alternatives for waste workers.
Next steps and how to get involved
Please contact Ryu Koide of the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) for more information on this project.