- Democratic Republic of the Congo
Sectors of activity
Agricultural and Fishery, Education
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising
Type of lead actor
The Farmer-Entrepreneurship Program aims to ensure food security and empower local farmers in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
1. Develop entrepreneurial skills of farmers: Provide smallholder farmers with training on agro-entrepreneurship in order to build their capabilities to supply vegetables in a manner that meets the standards and requirements of corporate buyers and run a profitable farm business;
2. Creation of market linkage: The launch of a Mobile App and website to provide localized crop information to farmers and connecting them to suppliers, traders, experts, and farmer cooperatives. Though this Mobile App, the smallholder farmers might build strategic partnerships and build both farming and skills regardless of their ability to walk or travel;
3. Provide grants and loans: A small loan will be given to Farmer-entrepreneur who qualify after he/she completes our training program to help him/her run a farming business;
4. Storage facilities: Run proper storage facilities in strategic sites of the project to help smallholder farmers to save and reduce losses and waste of foods.
Impact and Results
- Reduce food insecurity by reducing the rate of wastage of foodstuffs along food chains and limit the ecological footprint of food systems;
- Improve farmers' access to agriculture inputs, techniques, technologies, and market;
- Reduce youth unemployment by creating agriculture-related jobs.
Next steps and how to get involved
We are constantly looking for ways to better support and empower smallholder farmers in the Democratic Republic of Congo. So feel free to contact our team with any ideas you have ( firstname.lastname@example.org).