pixabay.com under Creative Commons CC0
- Asia / Pacific
- Korea, Republic of
Sector of activity
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation, Education & Awareness Raising
Type of lead actor
Specific objectives of this initiative include:
- Support three (3) local governments of China and Korea in procuring eco-innovative products and services in sectors such as public buildings, transport and IT. The working group coordinator will ensure that high quality direct advice in the respective local language will be made available allowing direct tender support on e.g. drafting specifications and green criteria via local experts identified and supplied by ICLEI EA and –where suitable- a broad network of SPP experts, involving 10YFP on SPP programme partners. The tender support can include basic analysis of needs and procurement performance of each local government, selection of tender area and consultation for improvement. Overall the working group pilot activities will support the publishing of at least three (3) sustainable tenders from a manifold of local and central government institutions.
Build on and amend an existing network of local governments on sustainable and innovative procurement in the East Asia region. The working group will start working with existing partnerships and networks such as Green Public Procurement (China) Partnership (GPP China Partnership) in the region whilst being open for other public authorities that would like to join the implementation phase to become participants of those network(s). By involving pilot cities and partners in the existing networks, the outcome will be to expand and strengthen the existing ones like GPP China Partnership or Global Lead Cities Network on SPP, and lay the foundation to establish the regional network in the long term. These networks will strongly cooperate with existing sub-networks in the region among other UNEP-led Asia Pacific GPP and Ecolabelling Network.
- Work with local governments to monitor the impact of SPP (here: tenders) within their administrations. If suitable, this will be carried out in strong cooperation with other 10YFP SPP working groups on monitoring SPP implementation and the measurement of SPP impacts and communication of SPP benefits. Key performance indicators on CO2 savings, energy savings and –where suitable- cost savings will be included and renowned and tested methodologies will be applied.
Activity 1: Preparation and Assessment
- Recruit 3 local governments from China and Korea.
- Assess the needs of selected local governments and identify what they are going to purchase, taking into account the main and key categories of spend for achieving sustainability targets.
- Identify governmental agencies, local expert organizations and networks related to GPP in China and Korea to support local governments in implementing sustainable tender process and capacity building program.
Activity 2: Tender Advice
- Support a pilot regional or country network of local governments including 3 selected cities, governmental agencies and expert organizations that collaborate on the publication of 3 eco-innovative tenders over the course of the project. The product, services and works covered are based on the assessed needs of the network participants and can include: energy use in public buildings, transport, food and catering services just to name a few.
- SPP tender advice (direct assistance) will be provided to 3 local governments on the identified products and services. The project consortium will draw up a regional centre for SPP experts that would be suitable for and tailored to the region including the ability to communicate in the native language.
- SPP training workshop will be organized to provide 3 participants with up-to-date information and best practice as well as guidelines and advice.
- 3 eco-innovative tender models (case studies) will be published. In preparing each model the energy and CO2 savings will be calculated. This approach can be based on the lessons learned from the 10YFP SPP working group 2B on measuring impacts of SPP and the GPP 2020 project (www.gpp2020.eu).
Activity 3: Dissemination and communication
- Promotional activities will be established and will make use of the broad communication channels of the 10YFP on SPP and all partners of the working group. This will include use of websites and social media (incl. a webinar). The 3 eco-innovative tender models (case studies) will be promoted through these communications channels.
Impact and Results
3 local governments from China and Korea identified and signed up to receive support on greening a tender and that will act in a regional or country network.
SPP tender advice provided to 3 local governments leading to the successful publication and award of 3 sustainable tenders.
3 tender models (case studies) produced and communicated broadly, detailing energy and CO2 emission savings achieved.
Publication of outcome brochure (3 cases), online PDF
Next steps and how to get involved
Coordinator, Sustainable Economy and Procurement