Harnessing the potential of the One Planet network multi-stakeholder partnership
This side event launches the strategy 2018-2022 ‘One Plan for One Planet’ of the One Planet network*, speakers will present the pillars of the strategy and provide practical cases and examples on how these can/are being taken forward. It will provide participants with a concrete approach to implementing SDG 12 and the 2030 Agenda on sustainable development, and opportunities to discuss collaborative action for future implementation.
* The One Planet Network is the network of the 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production
1. Welcoming remarks
2. Introduction on the strategy 2018-2022: ‘One Plan for One Planet’
3. Panel discussion
- The One Planet network: an effective implementation mechanism of SDG 12
- A network that provides tools and solutions for the shift to sustainable consumption and production
- Market signals & scaling-up innovations
- A multi-stakeholder partnership for systemic and transformative action
- Sustainable consumption and production an enabler of other SDGs and targets and its role in addressing key environmental and social challenges
5. Key outputs of the discussion & moving forward
One Planet network: An implementation mechanism for SDG 12
The event will feature speakers from the One Planet network – a multi-stakeholder implementation mechanism for SDG 12. This will includes representatives from member states, UN agencies, civil society and the private sector.
Sustainable consumption and production (SDG 12) is one of the most cost-efficient and effective ways to achieve economic development, reduce impacts on the environment and advance human well-being. Sustainable consumption and production is transversal, and as such SDG 12 should be seen as an enabler for the implementation of a range of other goals and their targets and key to a transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies.
Implementing SDG 12 requires a systemic transformation, through multi-stakeholder partnerships and the concerted action of governments, local authorities, businesses, civil society, scientific organisations, international organisations. Such partnerships are a requirement for a successful sustainable development agenda.
The strategy ‘One Plan for One Planet’ is the One Planet network’s strategy 2018-2022 to support the shift to sustainable consumption and production. It defines a common vision, strategic objectives and approaches behind which every organisation in the network or intending to join the network can rally behind to effectively lead and support the implementation of sustainable consumption and production and SDG 12.
The event is organised by the Board of 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production in collaboration with the Secretariat and the One Planet network.
Download the App!
Stay up to date on this event, including agenda, speakers and other information as it is available and all the other One Planet events over the 10 days of the HLPF, by downloading the app. Free download available by searching for 'UN Environment events' on the Apple or Android app stores.
Anything else you need to know about this event? Please send a message to sofie.clausen(at)un.org