The Sustainable Tourism Programme of the One Planet network is looking for co-leads to manage and support the Programme. Co-leadership is for four years and offers the opportunity to be closely involved with driving progress towards Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 12 on sustainable consumption and production.
The Sustainable Tourism Programme envisions a tourism sector that has globally adopted sustainable consumption and production practices resulting in enhanced environmental and social outcomes and improved economic performance. The Sustainable Tourism Programme was launched in 2014, and has been led in its first four years by the World Tourism Organisation, with the environment ministry of France, and the tourism ministries of Morocco and Korea as co-leads.
During the first 4 years of operation, membership has grown continuously and currently involves over 150 organizations committed to decouple tourism growth from the increased use of natural resources. Among its main achievements, the Programme has built a Portfolio of activities and projects which represents approximately 26% of the total activities connected to the One Planet network. The Sustainable Tourism Programme has also delivered a series of webinars, promoted the exchange of knowledge and participation of its members at a variety of eventsand conferences, as well as supported research. For further information please download the Annual Magazineand Annual Reports of the Sustainable Tourism Programme. The achievements of the whole One Planet network in its first years can be found in the magazine ‘Five years in: the One Planet network 2012-2017’
For the next term (lasting four years from 2019 - 2022), the Sustainable Tourism Programme is renewing its leadership to build on its success and take the network forward in implementing the new strategy ‘One Plan for One Planet’and the Kasane Call to Actionthat One Planet Sustainable Tourism Programme developed in collaboration with the network as forward to implement SDG12 in the tourism sector.
The One Planet Secretariat is therefore calling for expressions of interest from stakeholders to become a Lead or co-lead of the Sustainable Tourism Programme of the One Planet network.
What are the benefits?
- Set the agenda on Sustainable Consumption and Production in Tourism worldwide, with the mandate of the United Nations;
- Co-lead a Programme which is a recognised implementation mechanism for SDG12;
- Drive global and national action on SDG12 and the sustainable development agenda;
- Influence the strategic direction of the One Planet network and the delivery of SDG 12;
- Contribute to the achievement of other related SDGs, such as SDG 13 on climate or SDGs 14 and 15 on marine and terrestrial resources, which are connected to the Paris Agreement or the Strategic Biodiversity Framework of the CBD;
- Access a global, multi-disciplinary, established network working together to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Contribute to the implementation of the Kasane Call to Action;
- Increase the visibility of your organisation’s work on Sustainable Tourism, including by accessing the annual UN High Level Political Forum and other strategic events.
- Lead the change!
How to Apply
If your organization is interested and fulfils the requirements, please complete the application form online, including by attaching the signed letter in Annex 1.
The deadline for submitting expressions of interest is 31stJanuary 2019. If you have any questions please contact the Secretariat of the One Planet network (OnePlanet@un.org) or the One Planet Sustainable Tourism Programme (email@example.com).